Monday, December 7, 2009

Two Week Well Visit

7 lbs 4 oz.
21 inches long

We went in for your "2 week" appointment on Wednesday- so really you were only 12 days old.

The last morning we were in the hospital the had you under lights for as much of the time as possible because you were showing high jaundice levels. We ended up having to have lights delivered and set up at our house for the first 24 hours as well. I hated it because we had to keep you stripped down to just a diaper and lay you in the lights barely held in by this little jacket thing. You hated it because you were used to being bundled and held- and so none of us got much sleep that first day & night. Luckily your levels had gone down the next day and so we didn't have to keep you under the lights, although I did have to take you in for one more foot prick. After that one your levels were a bit higher again- but because you were older they said you were fine. At your two week appointment I asked again about it- because you still looked a little "yellow". He said that it was no longer anything to worry about.

Your umbilical chord made me a little nervous too because at just 8 or 9 days it all but came off- which would have been fine if it had been completly ready to- but there was still a little "wet" spot that wasn't ready to come off yet- so I put a bandaid on it to keep it from getting torn off the rest of the way, and by the end of the next day the rest of it had dried and come off, but your belly button was still "weeping" a little from its deep spot. Dr. Bailey said that was fairly common and cotorized the spot. It must have something to do with the fact that you had such a FAT chord. Seriously. Sarah, one of th midwifes kept saying what a fat chord it was.

Nursing is painful. Which is frustrating. I really thought I'd been through enough and learned enough that this time it might go smoothly. My left side was harder for yo to latch onto at first. I used a breast shield which helped- and now you're used to it- but I think the flatter nipple on that side, combined with my ENGORGEMENT I dealt with for 2+ full days made it hard for you to form good latching habits. You kinda knaw your way on- eventually getting a good hold (at least I don't have to worry about you not getting enough) but painful for me at the start of each session. I'm using my creams and lansinoh, and pumping the left side about once a day and giving it to you in a bottle (but we've just started doing this to avoid nipple confusion) to give me a break. It seems to be getting a little better as you get bigger/older- but no matter how hard I try to get you to open up big at the start, those bad habits are hard to break. I'm also constantly worried about mastitis or infections or plugged ducts or yeast since I've dealt with so much in the past> I think I just make it worse by worrying all the time....I'm just hoping that like with Dekker and Josh persistance will pay off and it will get easier.

Over all though you are a good baby. You give me 3 and 1/2 to 4 hour stretches at night- which is longer than the boys ever gave me at this age. And you are just SO DANG CUTE.

No comments:

Post a Comment